Part guide to fly fishing techniques; part tips on where, when, and how to fish particular places or for particular species.
Members are encouraged to add new articles, to append their knowledge (contradictory or supplemental), and to suggest topics that ought to be included.
- Learning To Fish Better by Dennis Kellett
Steps beginners can take to improve their fly fishing.
- Fishing Strategy by Dennis Kellett
Eight words to guide your hunt for fish.
- Shallow Presentation by Leigh West of Tampa Bay Fly Fishing Club (courtesy of FFF ClubWire).
Learn this tactic for when the fish are feeding in shallow water.
- Drift Boat Fishing by Mary Nishioka
How to fish from a drift boat and stay friends with your fishing partner
- Grip-n'-Grin by Mary Nishioka
How to hold a fish for a picture.
- Favorite Books by Bob Schwehr
A list of favorite fly fishing books. Further contributions wanted
Bass And Panfish
- Fishing Kistler by Dennis Kellet
How to fish the Kistler Ponds
- Kistler in May by Igor Doncov
Another perspective on fishing at Kistler
- Spring Fishing by Rich Catanzaro
A general overview of flyrodding for largemouth.
- The Sunfishes by Jack Ellis, Lyons & Burford, 1995
An account by a fly fisher raised on Sierra trout who discovers the equally fascinating challenge of the sunfishes when he ends up on the Gulf coast. The book details the nature of the fish, their habitat, their menu, tactics and equipment to fish for them, and a fly box with recipies. Good pen and ink illustrations by David Taft.
- Fly Tying and Fishing for Bass & Panfish by Tom Keith, Frank Amato, 1989
This book covers gear, the various members of the sunfish family, and tying suitable flies.
- California Bass Angling Guide by Joni Dahllstrom, Frank Amato, 1991
Forty bodies of bass fishing water are disected. Obviously oriented to the conventional fisherman, nevertheless this is a great resource for the fly fisher, too.
- Intro To NorCal Shad Angling by Dave Draheim
General info about shad and how to fish for them, from a late '70s article in the PFF archive
- Sacramento River Shad Access by Anglers Emporium
Map and directions to shad spots on the lower Sac, from a late '70's article in the PFF archive.
- American River Shad Access In Sacramento by Mike Meinz
Map and directions to shad spots on the American River in the city of Sacramento, from a late 70's article in the PFF archive.